Saturday, November 22, 2008

On being too comfortable


Sometimes things just come together in way that confirms all of my opinions about life. It happened this week when I was seduced by the idea of a shiny new bicycle. I usually collect old bikes that people have finished with and I race bikes that have some distinctly retro elements. My road bike has well used ‘531’ steel forks for comfort. My mountainbike is a hardtail with classic 7speed thumbshifters. I just can’t see the point in following fashions that are no improvement and cost money into the bargain. This may not be interesting unless you are a bike rider but there are only four real improvements that have been made to the first simple mountainbikes. In order; indexing gears, ‘clipless’ or click-on pedals, v-brakes and tubeless tyres (which allow you to run low pressures over rocks)
Well this week I thought I’d experiment again with a springy full suspension mountainbike. After all, everyone else is doing it. After my first ride I have decided I don’t like it and it represents all that is wrong with the world! To be honest it wasn’t that bad to ride but it did have me comparing it to lots of woes in the world. One of the reasons full suspension is popular is that downhill bike racing is popular. There is no doubt that the bouncy bikes are good for this and after all mtb racing came out of going downhill. However I am a cross-country man and where I live the hills are a long way apart. Even on the close rocky trails near my house I found the new bike’s height a disadvantage and the weight and slack angles noticebly harder to push around.
So number one thought:Don’t do things just because others are!
A lot of people like going downhill because it takes no effort. Its like making money when the market is strong. Lets all take the easy ride downhill…weeeee.
Number two thought: Life isn’t all downhill and going light helps.
The current trend seems to have been about getting fat and lazy and avoiding effort, carrying too much debt and complaining to government to bail you out when the chairlift company goes broke.
My new bike has hydraulic disc brakes. They are not super expensive ones so perhaps that matters. They don’t work as well as my old disc brakes..the ones that use v-brake levers on the rim. They weigh more and are more costly and complicated. I should have known.
Number three thought: If it seems complicated maybe it’s a con.
Boy am I glad I refused my clever adviser’s idea to make more money.
Today I rode my old bike again and it reminds me of my marriage. Everything works really well and the bits that annoy me sometimes are very predictable and I kind of love them too. It helps me realise that I AM going slower but it is because I have been taking it easy. I know this because I know the bike and can’t blame it for my failings. A good marriage works like that too if you’ll let it. Sometimes it seems some people are too keen to jump onto something new and then complain that it is just as bad as the old one. They miss the common thing to both.
Number four thought: Love my wife more.

No comments: