Friday, December 18, 2009

Lately I have been trying to clarify my thoughts and feelings especially in regard to the climate scepticism I outlined in my last post. It revolves around the feelings we have in the west to our consumption and the effects that has on the planet. (Self loathing one commentator called it)

In addition there is a sense that we benefit in world trade from the poverty in other parts of the world. Guilt. Mixed in there too is a love for the environment and a growing desire for a planet wide peace; an idealistic hope that nation states will act in broader ways more akin to ‘enlightened self interest’.

All this where my scepticism begins. I just have to accept some science that says we are causing climate change but I can’t personally know that. It is a faith I have. I have always been sceptical in matters of faith. I am concerned because all the liberal humanistic outcomes I would like to see in the world have been lumped in with issues of global warming. I am sure many supporters have jumped on the bandwagon because the issues seem to fit well together. I just think that is a dangerous situation in politics but I am too ignorant to really know why.


In my last post there was also an apparent contradiction about man not being at the centre of the universe yet my blog is focussed on it all turning upon man. (from the quote of Dietrich Boenhoffer in the first post) This is not hard to clarify as I mean that in human affairs now, more than ever in history, everything is determined by humans. God is properly sidelined and there is only an occasional hiccup thrown to us by nature to let us know we are not totally in control. But in a grander view it only matters to us. If we fuck the planet too thouroughly we may die but she won’t. We do not mourn for dinosaurs. Something superseding humanity is unlikely to mourn for us. Merry Xmas !

No comments: